Timmins Municipal Library announced on Wednesday the launch of a new mobile app for its readers. The application should facilitate digital consultation of library collections, article commenting, digital content lending, and article renewal.
Patrons will be able to enjoy a virtual library card on their devices that can link accounts, manage family cards, and switch between accounts with ease.
Everyone takes their cell phone for a walk, so they will avoid the frustration of losing or forgetting a card., explains Timmins Municipal Library Executive Director, Carol Ann Demers.
Mrs. Demer adds that
There is also the Cantook service which is not used enough, but which gives access to digital books in French. Only about 20 bookstores in Ontario own it and your card can be borrowed for free!
The project, which is fully funded from the library’s budget, will not impose any staff reduction.
What the app allows:
- Browse physical and digital collections
- Create and manage reservations
- View loans and reservations
- Download e-books, audiobooks, music and movies from OverDrive / Libby and hoopla
- Access to online resources at any time
- Use your cell phone as a library card
- Access program calendars
- Select French or English interface
- Find library opening hours and locations at a glance
The application is available in English and French and can be downloaded from the Apple App Stores and Google Play by searching
Timmins Public Library.
“Certified tv guru. Reader. Professional writer. Avid introvert. Extreme pop culture buff.”