On Wednesday evening, even before ball kicks off at 9:30pm (GMT) for Atletico MG and River Plate, Mineirao will once again echo a sound that blends with stadium history: the fans’ voice. After 17 months, Gigante da Pampulha will again receive an audience.
On March 7, 2020, about 50,000 fans in Mineiro cheered Atlético MG’s victory over Cruzeiro, 2-1, in the Mineiro tournament. This was the last time Atletico fans stepped onto the stands at the capital’s stadium, since, four days later, Cruzeiro lost to the CRB, for the Brazilian Cup, in front of 13,000 spectators, and this is the last match with the fans. in Minerao.
The spread of the Covid-19 pandemic was reflected in daily life and closed the doors of squares in Minas, Brazil and the world. Gradually, as vaccination progresses, the excitement returns to the athletic stages. It’s Belo Horizonte’s turn. It is a decision for the rooster.
Atlético-MG fans in Mineirao – Photo: Pedro Souza/Atlético-MG
The confrontation with River Plate deserves a place in the Copa Libertadores semi-finals. In the first match, at the Monumental de Nunez, Atlético won 1-0, with a goal scored by Nacho Fernandez.
The team ace ended up being sent off in Buenos Aires and the team will be embezzled on Wednesday, when the tie ranks for the team from Minas Gerais. If they don’t have Nacho on the pitch, Atletico will get the crowd back, after 529 days or 89 matches without votes from the stands.
In this period, without shaking the masses, clubs turned to DJs to give “voice” to the games. Screams and cheers erupted from the crowd from the loudspeakers. The spaces occupied by the fans gave way to the mosaic.
DJ Mauricio Mauli; Atlético-MG Game – Photo: Twitter Mauricio Maoli
At the end of July, the Belo Horizonte City Council authorized the partial return of fans to the city’s stadiums. At this start it will allow 30% of the arenas capacity. Mineirão will be able to receive about 16 thousand fans. Some rules must be respected. paying off:
- Maximum capacity 30% only with host club fans;
- Mandatory use of a mask and the distance between a vertical seat and a horizontal seat (the same rule used in cinemas);
- a negative test (rapid or RT-PCR) for Covid-19 up to 72 hours in advance;
- Those who have been vaccinated must also test negative to enter the stadium;
- Pharmacy exams will be accepted, provided that they are performed on letterhead;
- Online exclusive ticket sales, with the obligation to provide the name and phone number (if screening is required);
- There will be no public transportation to the stadiums;
- prohibition of the sale of alcoholic beverages;
- There are no age restrictions, but the city recommends that pregnant women not attend.
“Unapologetic analyst. Infuriatingly humble coffee evangelist. Gamer. Unable to type with boxing gloves on. Student. Entrepreneur.”